Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Caveman Can Do It

I suppose all of us at some time or another have complained about something adnauseam without offering anything constructive to solve the problem.

I read an article decades ago about how the basic design of houses, especially in more advanced countries, hasn't changed in hundreds of years.
In light of all the inexpensive talk about alternative energies, the green redistribute the wealth movement, you would think that we would have evolved in home construction other than building too large and too expensive.

Actually I have given a lot of thought and research to underground or partial underground homes.
It's impressive to go on line and see what people have done with subterranean homes. Some of these homes look like dwellings of the rich and famous on the inside, and inside is mostly all you see.
I forget what underground temperature is - something like 58 deg F. A home underground can almost be heated with a candle and needs no cooling. Moisture is the biggest challenge. There is no external upkeep or shingle replacement. Being Americans, it's possible that we don't want to go this route because houses are a way of saying "look how successful I am!" Underground homes wouldn't afford us bragging rights, but tornadoes would no longer be a fear.

Another thing we are seeing are large subdivisions being built on agricultural properties. This is not the best use of our land. With underground housing, home builders would be looking for hills to build in, leaving the valleys open.

We tend not to change until we have to. If the uncontrolled EPA gets its way there may be more innovative ways of home construction down the road.

4 comments:

John Bobo said...

Where's my shovel?

Lori said...

It does make a lot of sense, but I can't imagine no windows. I envision me in my subterranean home curled up in the fetal position sucking my thumb from lack of sunlight and vitamin D. Naah...

Lisa Schmiesing said...

What the hell does adnauseam mean?

I never learned it in high school!
Is it a word you regularly use or have you added it in to puzzle people like me?
The problem with blogging is that idiots begin to read your stuff and make really stupid comments...completely missing the point.
Me, I love chocolate, beer and watching tv...

Hi Roger! My name is Lisa Schmiesing (shmeezing) and I am a friend of Lori's.

My daughter is an environmental architecture student at MSU. She is an environmental FREAK. I believe she will do all she can to change the way we build houses.

Lori said...

Ad nauseam is a latin term used to describe an argument which has continued to the point of nausea. It is two words. the word "ad" carries the connotation of "in the direction of." The word "nauseam," I believe, speaks for itself.

Now then, are you ready to vomit?