Friday, November 20, 2009

God's Own

This past Wednesday after a business meeting in Birmingham we went over to Hoover for a night of bowling. There were twelve of us on three lanes. Occupying two lanes next to us were some twelve or fifteen retarded adults. Most seemed to enjoy themselves. A few didn't know what to do. The few times I rolled a strike a little man sitting within toughing distance with eyes unknown to hate, looked up and gave me a pat on the arm as I walked back to get another bite of pizza. He got a return pat from me just because. The because isn't that I am good.
It came to me long ago that these were Gods special creatures incapable of sin. One of them innocently waddled over to my lane as I was setting up and dropped a slow roller a few feet down the lane before it guttered. Someone led him back into to fold. I happened to strike on the bottom of the frame. It didn't matter any - just a game.
In a while they left in three groups. Another man reached out and shook my hand. I smiled and returned the gentle grip. and watched him shuffle out the door with four foot eleven friend who wore a fedora and a trench coat.
I'm sure I did my part of sinning that day, I want to get my part in, but I hope that God will never look down on me with sadness because I disrespected his special ones.

1 comment:

John Bobo said...

Great comments and lesson. I have often thought the same thoughts. It seems that God has given the "mentally handicaped" a gift that I often long for, but not often enough show. That is the gift of LOVE. Have you ever seen one of God's special children that was not happy, and displayed acts of love.