Saturday, May 9, 2009

Stagga Lee

The song Stagger Lee goes back in Blues history a long way, recorded over 400 times. There are dozens of versions of this song as in many folk songs. It hit big in 1959 when recorded by Floyd Price, a black Korean war veteran.

Saint Louis Globe Democrat 1895 - William Lyons 25, levee worker was shot in the abdomen by Lee "Stag" Shelton.
Lyons died later of his wounds. Shelton was tried but the jury was hung.
(I didn't go into their archives to verify this)

I was standin' on the corner
When I heard my bulldog bark
He was barkin' at the two men
Who were gamblin' in the dark

It was Stagga Lee and Billy
Two men who gambled late
Stagga Lee threw a Seven
Billy swore that he threw eight

Stagga Lee told Billy
I can't let you go with that
You done won all my money
And my brand new Stetson hat

Stagga Lee went home
And he got his .44
He said I'm goin' to the bar room
Just to pay that debt I owe

Stagga Lee went to the bar room
And he strolled across the floor
He said you did me wrong Billy
And he pulled his .44

Stagga Lee said Billy
Oh please don't take my life
I got three little children
And a very sickly wife

Stagga Lee shot Billy
Oh he shot that boy so bad
That the bullet went through Billy
And broke tha bartender's glass

Go Stagga Lee, Go Stagga Lee

Youtube Stagger Lee Floyd Price

1 comment:

HC said...

I didn't realize that song was based on a true story. Like you say.. "What you didn't learn in high school."