Sunday, May 31, 2009

Pleasure or Reality

Freud discovered the "pleasure principle." If a person is confronted with facing reality that is often upsetting or turning to pleasure he or she will choose pleasure most of the time.
I wanted to test this theory so I have been bringing up the possibility of hyperinflation and a loss of personal wealth to people I know. It is safe to say that eight out of ten people I approach appear not to know current events, say very little, and often change the subject.

2 comments:

John Bobo said...

You bring up a good point. You find this same principal in the Bible. In one section, some of Jesus followers told Him-"that is a hard saying, and many fell away." We often don't see reality because of our own reflection.

Lori said...

Then again, what is the point of speaking negativity when Jesus tells us in Mark 4 that we get what we speak? And what can we do about hyper-inflation? It's either gonna happen or not -- whether we worry about it or not. Might as well "Be anxious for nothing..." and realize He is in control and we can choose to live a life of abundance in Christ...or not.

I know...this is my pet soap box. I'm all about abundance and living big! I definitely prefer to think about "whatever is excellent, perfect..." I'd like to ask Freud what's so wrong with "think(ing) on these things."