Thursday, January 14, 2010

Quakers

I noticed on the news that Pat Robertson was really catching it for recalling the folklore or history of the Haitian people selling their souls to the devil for freedom.

I'm not interested in taking sides on this thing. People believe what they believe and tend to not change their minds.
I think one should look at these controversial issues as though they were a big red barn. Look at it from the front, the back, the sides, the top and walk through the center if possible.

The front of the barn: God is the only judge
The back of the barn: But he also makes it known what really angers him.
The left side of the barn: Americans have been taught tolerance so long that they tolerate almost any behavior without judgement.
The right side of the barn: the Haitian people are suffering terribly. The only thing we need to be concerned with at the moment and for the next year is their health and well being.
Walking through the barn hallway: I've seen the Voodoo rituals on the education channels. For me it is very disturbing to witness. I don't stand outside during a thunderstorm and I wouldn't invite one of these rituals onto my front lawn. Think what you want.
The barn from the top: A related subject - Christians believe strongly that the Green Movement will not work. Man can't save the earth. The enlightened ones are not gods capable of creating utopia on earth. We're promised that the earth will be renewed without our help. We do however, have an obligation to be good stewards of the land. Robertson's believes the biblical promise - "If you turn from your wicked ways and turn your face toward me, I will forgive you and heal your land." He believes Haiti can be healed.
This is one divided country.

1 comment:

John Bobo said...

I agree, good observations & comments.