Saturday, January 2, 2010

Memories of an old soldier

I called my dad today as I do every weekend. Somehow Korea came up in the conversation. He told me the Korean peasants cooked a strong smelling dish made of cabbage. According to him the smell carried for hundreds of yards. He said it was called "Kimchi" kim chee.
It's amazing how the mind of an eighty seven year old man struggles with advanced age, yet can recall a Korean dish from 1952.
If memory serves me correctly the cabbage was fertilized by human excrement.
G.I's. didn't touch it.

This is not a reticule of the people. The poor have to get by the best way they can.
I like cabbage but when cooking it smells to high heaven.

2 comments:

John Bobo said...

Good story about Grandad. I like cabbage, but I agree, it does smell bad when cooking. I wonder what's in the fertilizer we now use?

Roger Howell said...

Ha!