Thursday, December 10, 2009

Lets Build a Tower

I was thinking of that old Bible story about the Tower of Babble. Now, Fred, Bob, and Jim are minding their own business, just building a tower to heaven with a couple hundred other guys and several cases of beer. The Big Guy in the sky doesn't like it. All of a sudden Fred begins to crave fried rice. His name is now Ping Lu Cho. Bob who is now Pierre turns to him and says"hand me another brick, sil vous plait."
Cho replies, "what did your call me?"
Then everyone on the scaffolding erupts in screaming epithets that no one else understands and no one likes the other's tone.
Jim, who is now Van der Hoot throws a wooden shoe at some cat named Juan and heads north to do something practical like build a dike to hold back the ocean.

We think about this story and may believe it is more outrageous than Jack And The Bean Stalk or
It could be that they were building an observatory "A Tower To Heaven" Astrology if you will.
We think to ourselves, "what a bunch of dummies," to believe in the magic of the Cosmos. Then we as Christians, meet someone and exchange signs. "I'm an Ares" he says, never thinking that astrology has crept into his life. I'm not throwing rocks at anyone, I've done it myself years ago.
My daughter ran into some church ladies the other day. They wanted to start a new Bible class. She asked "What's The Study? One answered " Social Justice'
She knew immediately that she had no business in a class using a Communist Theme.
Just say'n. Keep your guard up. Stuff is creeping in like a leaking boat.
I don't get on this religious stuff too often, but like Van der Hoot, I give a dam.

1 comment:

John Bobo said...

You have hit the nail square on the head with this post, and like you, I give a dam as well. A poplar Christian song has a line similar to: "it begins as shades of grey". Before you know it, we can't tell the difference between right and wrong,or even know what sin looks like. Keep them corks handy.