Friday, January 16, 2009

How do you get to Difficult Tennessee

While in college east of Nashville some years ago, I took a weekend drive to see the Beautiful Upper Cumberland countryside. I eventually got lost. An old man was standing on the side of the road near a cable walking bridge leading from the highway to his cabin.

I pulled over, rolled down the window and asked "How far is it to Knoxville?"

He thought a minute and said "Oh bout three wagon greasings"


A steel tired wagon would need its wheels pulled after a certain amount of use. The owner would smear grease on the hub and put the wheel back on. After those directions I didn't know any more than I did before. (there is a Difficult Tennessee as well as Defeated, Ballplay, and Guys)

1 comment:

HC said...

Not to forget a Chewalla, Wolf Pens, and Hurley Town.